Sunday 22 January 2012

The Bigger The Better

Writers block. Is this what it is? Some might say that I have it on a regular basis. But I try. 


This has been another very solid training week and I've followed the plan pretty well. I'm only doing 1 swim session a week at the moment which I'm fine with. My plan is to up that to 2 around March time and then get the open water training going in April when Histon Water, north of Cambridge, opens for the season. The running and biking is going well and I'm hitting the numbers that I need to. In fact I'm slightly ahead on the running front by a week. The main session I'm yet to get in is the brick. Now I know you'll think that this is a bad one to miss but I'm definitely going to get it up and running by the end of February. 


Highlights of the week are Mondays swim (2.7 miles) and today's run (10 miles). Both cracking sessions due to their length. I'm always happiest when I get in the bigger distances in. Speed just doesn't interest me and never has done since I started triathlons about 6 years ago. Articles, blogs and websites to do with big distances were always of far more interest. The likes of Macca, Crowie, Lieto and Wellington always a bigger draw than the ITU circuit. Anyway, what's all that drafting business about! Challenges taken on by Ben Fogle and James Cracknell, Ranulph Fiennes, Mike Stroud, Dean Karnazes, Mark Beaumont, Alastair Humphreys, Mark Kalch and Bruce Duncan involving huge distances and adventure grip the imagination and make me want to take on take on bigger things. Hence the Outlaw Ironman this year.


A new addition to my training this week has been a wheat bag. Simple little thing I know but it has certainly eased a couple of aches and pains in these old legs of mine.


And so on to week 8 of the training plan.


Oh, I also worked Monday to Friday too but that just gets in the way of the fun training doesn't it!     

No comments:

Post a Comment