Sunday 15 January 2012

Cookies and cream.....and jam!

Solid training under the belt this week. But as a few of my old teachers used to say, could do better. I followed the plan pretty much to the letter apart from 2 sessions which I haven't yet built into my week. The second swim and the brick session. If I did the sessions as they are set out in Don Finks book it all flows well but with Monday night being the clubs swim training it kind of throws things out, so I need to juggle things around, mainly to get the brick done. This is going to mean a morning run before work which I'm not a fan of. I know some people like running early but my body just doesn't play ball. I've tried eating something as soon as I get up, not eating, just having a black coffee, everything. I just always seem to have a bad run. But needs must in order to get the training done so we'll give it a go this week.


It was good to get back into the swimming this week with Walden Tri (http://www.waldentri.co.uk/). Not the biggest set but some good drills to keep us all thinking about technique. After all, a bad one will be the main problem in swimming through that imaginary hole in front of us. Only bad thing about training was being asked to return my trophy for 'outstanding swim' at last years club awards. Boo! Might be in with a chance of getting it again this year though for my swim at last years Vitruvian when I won my age group 40-44. I'm discounting the chap who actually swam faster as he failed to finish! Rules are rules eh?


The biking and running went pretty well this week. Tuesdays was particularly good with an average HR of 139. A first for me given the pace. Unfortunately, the other 2 runs didn't quite match up but were still decent enough. Thursday was the 6th day on the bounce of training and it showed a little during the day. Had a right grump on me in the morning, feeling tired etc. But food in the system at lunch turned it around. I've told my work chums that it might happen a few more times as the training ramps up. They've been warned! I also introduced them to my compression calf guards too which I was wearing under my work trousers. The ladies had a good old laugh at me for that! 


Yesterdays long bike was a testing one. Nothing to do with distance, but because it was bloody freezing. I started off in zone 2 but because it was easy my body temp just went down and down until I figured that upping the pace was a necessity to warm me up. It's surprising how much the senses go when cold which is not best when steering a bike. 


The food intake is also going well too. Have increased it a fair bit since the beginning of the year. Quite amusing really when everyone else is on a diet. Maybe everyone should just get a pair of trainers on and do a few laps around the block instead of watching crap TV. Just a thought. I got myself some new protein powder to supplement the food. Cookies and cream flavour. Not a fan! But I've found that a few spoons of jam in there takes away that tang that made me gurn after each mouthful.


So all in all a good week. And on to the next.


Oh, I also worked Monday to Friday but that just gets in the way of training doesn't it!?
          

No comments:

Post a Comment